The Skillet is back in the Fort: TCU 42, SMU 34

Share this

By Jamie Plunkett
Frogs Today staff writer

DALLAS — The Frogs returned the Iron Skillet to the right side of the Metroplex on Saturday, beating SMU 42-27. Max Duggan threw three touchdown passes, Kendre Miller dominated on the ground, and the Frogs’ secondary picked off Tanner Mordecai twice to help seal the win.

TCU didn’t waste any time, winning the toss and electing to receive before driving 74-yards down the field on five plays, capping things off with a 19-yard touchdown pass from Duggan to Savion Williams.

Abe Camara interception on Mordecai as SMU was driving. Ensuing drive for TCU ends with a 28-yard touchdown run by Kendre Miller, who amassed 84 rushing yards on five carries in the first quarter.

SMU responded early in the second quarter, helped by two pass interference penalties called on Tre Hodges-Tomlinson. The Mustangs managed to march all the way inside the one-yard-line, where Tre Siggers ran it into the endzone on 4th and goal.

TCU responded with a long drive, ending in a touchdown pass from Duggan to Jared Wiley, their second touchdown connection on the season. The play design included a motion into the backfield by Gunnar Henderson, and a fake handoff to Kendre Miller, as Wiley ran a wheel route to the left sideline. Duggan found Wiley wide open, and the Texas transfer strolled in to the endzone.

TCU scored on their next drive too, after forcing an SMU punt. Derius Davis took a speed sweep toss from Duggan and did the rest, going 80 yards untouched for a touchdown.

SMU wouldn’t go away, though. The Mustangs put together an 11-play, 75-yard drive to bring the score to 28-14 where it would stay through the rest of the first half.

While the Frogs put points on the board in the first half, the offensive line struggled to protect Duggan at times. The senior quarterback was sacked four times in the first half, and the pressure continued into the second half.

TCU’s offense stalled out due to penalties and QB pressure, forcing them to punt on their first three possessions of the second half.

Meanwhile SMU put together a 10-play, 98-yard touchdown drive to cut the Frogs’ lead to 28-21.

The Frogs figured it out the rest of the way, though. After another TCU punt, cornerback Josh Newton intercepted a Tanner Mordecai pass, returning it to the SMU 37. The ensuing TCU drive ended in a Kendre Miller touchdown run to put the Frogs up 35-21.

SMU answered once again, scoring on a Tre Siggers run from two yards out. The Mustangs went for two after the score, but couldn’t convert.

Then, Emari Demercado put the game on ice with a 63-yard touchdown run to give the Frogs a 42-27 lead with 2:31 remaining in the game. SMU fans headed for the exits.

Tanner Mordecai found Jake Bailey for a 35-yard touchdown with 1:04 left in the game, cutting TCU’s lead to 42-34. The Mustangs attempted an onside kick, but the Frogs recovered it.

TCU was forced to punt with 45 seconds left, but a personal foul call on SMU gave the Frogs a first down, allowing them to ice the game and claim the skillet.

TCU heads home 3-0, with a date with Oklahoma next Saturday.

Jamie Plunkett,

Just a Frog fan covering TCU Athletics.

TCU riff ram icon

Never miss an exclusive story!