Kendre Miller, TCU run past Kansas State to reach 7-0 on the season

Share this

Kendre Miller celebrates after his second rushing touchdown of the night against Kansas State (TCU Football).

By Jamie Plunkett
Frogs Today staff writer

FORT WORTH – Kendre Miller recorded his fourth 100-yard rushing game of the season, and the Frogs scored 28 unanswered points to erase a 28-10 Wildcats lead, as TCU moved to 7-0 on the season Saturday night.

The Frogs trailed by 18 points with less than a minute remaining in the first half, before taking control of the game and putting Kansas State in the rearview mirror.

After a defensive stop to open the game, the Frogs wasted little time jumping out to a lead. After five straight runs to open the drive, Max Duggan found Derius Davis deep over the middle for a 65-yard touchdown pass. The touchdown marked Davis’ fourth receiving touchdown of the year, and sixth overall.

Kansas State quarterback Adrian Martinez briefly headed to the locker room after Kansas State’s first drive, not returning to the sideline until after the Wildcats have leveld the game at seven apiece. Backup quarterback Will Howard moved Kansas State down the field on their second drive, connecting with Kade Warner for a 28-yard touchdown pass. Josh Newton appeared to briefly have his hands on the ball, but he couldn’t take it away.

While Martinez spent the rest of the game on the sideline, he didn’t play another snap.

After a TCU field goal briefly gave the Frogs the lead at 10-7, Howard and Kansas State put together a ten play, 75-yard drive that carried over into the second quarter. The drive included a big conversion on 3rd and 16, and ended when Howard dove into the endzone from one yard out on a quarterback sneak.

The Wildcats extended their lead just minutes later, as Howard connected with tight end Sammy Wheeler for a nine yard touchdown, giving Kansas State a 21-10 lead.

Meanwhile, TCU’s offense continued to struggle. Duggan missed throws he had been making all season, and the Frogs were forced to punt on two consecutive drives, before going for it on fourth down from near midfield and failing to convert.

Kansas State extended their lead with nine minutes remaining in the second quarter, when Deuce Vaughn broke free and ran 47 yards to paydirt, putting the Wildcats up 28-10.

TCU responded on their last drive of the half to cut the deficit to 28-17 at halftime. After a 48-yard run from Kendre Miller put the Frogs in Kansas State territory, Duggan found Jared Wiley in the back of the endzone for his fourth receiving touchdown of the year.

The Frogs kept the momentum rolling after halftime, scoring on their first two drives of the third quarter to reclaim the lead. The second score of the quarter was a 55-yard pass from Duggan to Quentin Johnston, who had had a quiet night to that point.

Johnston hauled in the pass over a Kansas State defender and Derius Davis, before dragging another defender into the endzone, putting the Frogs ahead 31-28.

TCU’s defense stepped up in the second half as well, with Joe Gillespie making adjustments to counter Kansas State’s passing attack with Howard at the helm. After the Wildcats scored four touchdowns on their first five drives of the game, TCU’s defense held them scoreless over their next seven possessions, forcing two turnovers and two missed field goals.

With 2:20 left in the contest, Howard threw his first interception of the night to Tre Hodges-Tomlinson, sealing the victory for the Horned Frogs.

TCU will now travel to Morgantown, WV., to face West Virginia next Saturday.

Jamie Plunkett,


Just a Frog fan covering TCU Athletics.

TCU riff ram icon

Never miss an exclusive story!